Sunday, February 3, 2013

Heating the Tiny Home


This question comes up for all tiny home builders.  It doesn’t take much, but it does have to happen.

As I finish up my walls, it’s time to start thinking about interior layout.  I did mock up about 6 different designs already, but none of them really make sense now that my house is becoming a reality.  I’ve made a lot of adjustments to my original plans, because of my window selection as well as other materials that I’ve been coming across. 

It’s decision time for gas lines, water lines, lights and outlets, and, not least of the decisions, how to heat.  It’s mild here in Mendocino County, with freezing days and nights in the winter, but overall, not bad.   Summers can be hot (many summer days over 100), but summer nights cool off, and some shade can make the day just fine.  Like they say, it’s a dry heat.   Most people in the north coast range don’t have AC.   But everyone has heat.  Not sure if I’m staying here, but do want to stay in this climate.

This means I have to plan for heat.   There are about 5 attractive choices that I’ve come across.

  1. The fancy Dickenson Newport P-9000 Propane Heater that Tumbleweed uses in their homes.  Advantage:  It’s small, sleek, and can fit in small spaces.  Disadvantage:  I can readily find wood to burn, and would have to purchase propane for heat.  Propane burns cleaner than wood, but I’m not sure what other impacts it might have.  Have to investigate. 


Cool tiny wood stoves designed for camping or boats:

2.    The Hobbit (made in the UK by Salamander Stoves).  I’ve seen one in a tiny house and it was pretty cool, as well as being among the cheapest small cast iron stove I’ve encountered). 

3.  Shipmate stoves.  Beautiful and pricey.  

4. The Sardine from Navigator Stove Works is in the middle price range, and comes highly recommended.  

5.  Last, but not least, are the rolled iron stoves built in MN for canvas tent camping by a company called Four Dog Stove.  By far the cheapest, probably because they aren’t cast iron, but also light and moveable.  However, a little longer than I was hoping for.    I’m leaning toward the smallest of the lot, the Two Dog Stove.    Price is right, it can be moved out easily in the summer, and you can add a water tank to the side, and cook on top.    Another tiny home owner uses one and it seems to be enough for her. 

I’m open to other suggestions and thoughts……. Anyone?  

No comments:

Post a Comment