Sunday, February 3, 2013

Closing in my frame


I’ve been adding rafters, blocking, and odds and ends for the last couple of weeks, with a couple of pieces of plywood nailed to the side of my house like an embarrassing unfinished haircut.  While I know where my time has gone (piddley little details that you will never be able to see, but have to be taken care of), it doesn’t look like much has changed. 

- Until the last couple of days, when I got plywood on the roof, and started on the plywood for the sheer walls again.  Now, I can start to feel like there’s progress.  And get a sense of how the space will feel as it closes in. 

Never mind the compounding mistakes that I encounter.  I think all projects have them, and lucky for me, 1) wood is forgiving, and 2) I will be the person who lives with any weirdness I create. 

I’ve been lucky to get help at opportune moments, and can always beg my dad to stop by to help me throw plywood onto the roof with me so I don’t fall off the ladder and break my neck all by myself.    

Doug, who is working on his 1960 something GMC truck in the shop yard, and Richard and Nate, who have their electrical business storage on site, come by to heckle/advise/conversate me on a regular basis.    

Pictures of progress:



I’ve been working on rough plumbing with my friend and neighbor, Steve Henderson.  I should be starting my rough electric next week in between bouts of finishing up the plywood and getting going on roofing.  

Steve's dog Bailey is actually a plumber's
 helper. She carries parts to Steve when he's
working under houses.  



Front end closed in with plywood, plywood over most of the roof.
Buddy, the yard dog, cruises by to gently observe every hour.  For a big Rottweiler mutt yard dog, he’s not very intimidating.   He’s more interested in whether I have a tasty lunch. 





1 comment: